10:00 am - 12:00 pm Mohrenstraße 40, room 415, Berlin-Mitte
MGK mini course series: Miriam Meyerhoff
Negotiating variation – Creativity, conflict and cross-linguistic perspectives
Dates: 22./23./25. November 2022
Place: Mohrenstraße 40/41, CRC conference room 415
Tuesday 22 November, 10:00-12:00
Resolving variation across languages – ‘negotiations’ in speaking creoles
- Reading: Meyerhoff, Miriam. 2009. Replication, transfer and calquing: Using variation as a tool in the study of language contact. Language Variation and Change. 21. 297-317.
Wednesday 23 November, 10:00-12:00 (Lunch with PhD candidates to follow 12:00-13:30)
New New Zealanders and new unities – negotiating variation and change in Auckland (NZ)
- Reading: Meyerhoff, Miriam, Alexandra Birchfield, Elaine Ballard, Catherine Watson and Helen Charters. 2020. Restrictions on relative clauses in Auckland, New Zealand. In Karen V. Beaman, Isabelle Buchstaller, Sue Fox and James A. Walker (eds.) Advancing Socio-grammatical Variation and Change: In honour of Jenny Cheshire. London: Routledge. 115-133.
Friday 25 November, 13:00-15:00
Conflict in a multicultural, multilingual daycare – early forays into sociolinguistic negotiation
- Reading: Strycharz-Banas, Anna, Carmen Dalli & Miriam Meyerhoff 2022. “I’m a big boy, you’re a baby”: Negotiating labels, group boundaries and identities in an early childhood community of practice. International Journal of Early Years Education. 30, 1: 41-54.
Personal meetings with Miriam:
- Slots: Thursday 24 November, 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00, Friday afternoon
- Please contact the MGK manager Anne Temme